License Renewal Information

All Michigan dentists must renew their licenses every three years and certify compliance with state continuing education rules by submitting their application for license renewal. License renewal must be completed online.

Preceding the expiration of the three-year licensing period, dentists must maintain records of CE activities and current CPR certification. Visit the CE Requirements area of the Continuing Education section for more information on CE requirements.

If you have a state controlled substance license, this license will be renewed in conjunction with your dentistry license. Please note, DEA registrations are separate from the state controlled substance licenses and are renewed on separate dates.

MIPLUS Licensing System

The state of Michigan has now switched over to MiPLUS, a new online licensing and regulatory database for health and occupational professionals in Michigan. This new system is administered by the Bureau of Professional Licensing within the Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs. Benefits of the new system include:

  • Individuals can apply online, track the status of their application, renew their license, and receive electronic notifications.
  • Licensees can modify their existing licensing information and upload documents.
  • Licensees can self-report their convictions and disciplinary actions from other states.
  • Individuals can verify the status of a licensed professional, file a complaint against a licensed professional, or report a change in staff privileges.
  • It allows for electronic transmissions, reducing the time waiting for traditional mail communications.

For more information about MiPlus, download the MiPlus FAQs document including Supplemental FAQs for dentists prepared by the MDA.


Important Renewal Tips

  • You must register an account in the new MiPLUS licensing system BEFORE you start your license renewal.
  • When registering your account in MiPLUS, input your name exactly as it appears on your current license. This will help connect your account to your license in the new system.
  • You cannot use the same email address you provided when you registered for your MIOSHA account or any other state account.
  • Review the help videos or print out the instructions “How to Register an Account in MiPLUS” and “Renew Your License” before calling or emailing LARA. These resources may answer your questions. These are available MiPLUS Dentistry website.
  • Using Internet Explorer is recommended to renew your license. APPLE USERS! Click here for instructions on how to make Safari mimic Internet Explorer.
  • You must use a desktop or laptop computer to complete the registration and renewal process. Mobile devices (smartphone, iPad, etc.). are not supported.
  • The application and renewal process requires payment with a Visa, Mastercard, or Discover card. (American Express is not accepted.)
  • License renewals are generally completed within a few days. A new dental license application (never licensed in Michigan) can take up to six to eight weeks.
  • Changing your name as part of the renewal process WILL slow down your renewal. Instead, follow these steps:
    1. Complete the license renewal process with your former name.
    2. Then log back in and select “Modify Your License” to change your name.
    3. A free copy of a license with your new name will be emailed to you (hard copies are $10).
  • Licensees under the dentistry profession have until Aug. 31 to renew their license. Improvements are being made to the system every day. The longer you wait to renew, the chances are the easier it will be to renew.
  • There is a 60-day grace period after the Aug. 31 deadline. The state is monitoring the situation closely and if there is still a large number of dentists that haven’t renewed, the state will waive the late fees associated with renewing after the deadline. LARA does not start informing insurance companies or moving lapsed licenses until after Oct. 30, 2019. So, dentists are still valid and licensed during the grace period.

Volunteer License

The special volunteer license application is no longer valid and is no longer posted on any LARA website. Special volunteer licenses are now available through the MiPLUS website. Specific questions about volunteer licenses are addressed in Michigan’s Public Health Code.

Controlled Substance License Renewals

Similar to your state dental license, Michigan controlled substance licenses need obtained to prescribe controlled substances. These licenses need to be renewed everything three years.

Opioid Training

Before you renew your controlled substance license, or if you apply for an initial license after Sept. 1, 2019, you’ll need to complete a one-time training on opioid awareness.

In addition to the state controlled substance license, prescribers also need to register with the federal Drug Enforcement Agency. Links to both the state controlled substance licensure application and the DEA registration are below:

Remember, before you renew your controlled substance license, or if you apply for an initial license after Sept. 1, 2019, you’ll need to complete a one-time training on opioid awareness.