Opportunities to volunteer your time and expertise also exist with the MDA’s subsidiaries and affiliates. Check out what the MDA Dental PAC, MDA Foundation and MDA Insurance & Financial Group have to offer.
MDA Dental PAC
Board of Governors
Volunteers serving on the MDA Dental PAC Board of Governors direct the business of Dental PAC by setting policies that determine the amount of contributions requested from members on the dues statement and other fundraising activities. The committee also sets policies setting the amounts that can be given by Dental PAC to candidates and political committees.
- Attend the MDA Annual Session.
- Set contribution amount to Dental PAC that appears on dues statement.
- Determine limits on what can be contributed to candidates and political committees.
- Review Dental PAC financial statements and state campaign finance reports that are periodically sent to the Board of Governors.
- Determine other policies as needed.
Board of Directors
When you serve on the MDA Foundation Board of Directors, you are furthering the mission of being the philanthropic leader of the dental-health community through the support and funding of dental health education and access to care initiatives, as well as providing assistance to future dental professionals through student scholarships.
- Identify and support dental health care programs providing access for the un-insured and/or other vulnerable populations in Michigan.
- Support dental health education programs and other dental health awareness programs aiding in prevention.
- Provide scholarships to students in dental, dental hygiene and dental assisting programs for the purpose of developing exceptional dental health care professionals.
MDA Insurance & Financial Group
Board of Directors
MDA Insurance & Financial Group Inc. is an affiliate of the Michigan Dental Association that provides insurance products, practice management resources as well as disposable dental products. A director may serve up to ten one-year terms but must stand for election each year. The expectation is that directors will serve multiple one year terms.
Skill Set and Requirements
- Must be an MDA member dentist.
- Comfortable and capable of (or willing to learn) electronic communication, file extraction and Internet research.
- Ability to fulfill time commitments, attending the majority of meetings and conference calls.
- Ability to read/review provided information (often financial) in a timely manner, and respond or be prepared to ask questions within the requested time frame when a response is required.
- Previous business education and experience (in and outside of dentistry).
- Knowledge of IFG insurance and/or services (through their use OR via service on IFG Committees).
- Have no significant conflicts of interest.
Those interested in applying for the MDAIFG Board should email a letter of intent that includes a statement related to each of the qualifications and a current CV (curricula vitae) to Bill Sullivan, MDA Interim Executive Director, prior to Feb. 1.