MDA Member Dentists Can Make a Difference as a Volunteer Leader
Here you’ll find tips and ideas you can use to explore all the great things that being a volunteer leader with organized dentistry has to offer. Included are quick, short-term, and long-term opportunities as well as links to MDA programs where you can gain further leadership skills.
Michigan dentistry needs your skills, your insights, your experience, and your enthusiasm. Get started today!
Quick and Easy Opportunities
No time? No problem! Fast ways to get involved!
- Share your views by writing a letter or an article in the MDA Journal.
- Host a speaker at Annual Session.
- Recruit a non-member into membership.
- Take photos at a dental society event.
- Attend an MDA legislative lunch or meeting.
- Speak out in support of fluoride in your community.
- Respond to MDA legislative alerts when received.
- Participate in the biannual MDA compensation and dental fee surveys.
Short-term MDA Opportunities
A little more time, but not a major commitment.
- Serve as an mentor.
- Share your expertise on a task force or workgroup.
- Volunteer as a Journal clinical reviewer.
- Organize a fundraiser for a political candidate.
- Participate in the LEAD (Leadership Education and Development) program.
- Sign up for the COVER (Colleagues Offering Varied Emergency Relief) program.
- Speak at a continuing education course.
Longer-term MDA Opportunities
For those seeking a more substantial commitment.
- Serve on the Journal Editorial Advisory Board.
- Serving on an MDA board or committee:
- Committees: Put your expertise to work on a longer-term basis.
- Board of Trustees: Help shape Michigan dentistry’s future.
- House of Delegates: Help support and advance the profession of dentistry.
- Nominating Committee: Your interest in serving on the MDA Board of Trustees begins with the Nominating Committee, which nominates trustees, officers, ADA delegates, and alternates to the House of Delegates.
- Subsidiaries and Affiliate Groups: Explore the volunteer opportunities available through MDA’s subsidiary organizations MDA Insurance, MDA Services, MDA Foundation, and MDA Dental PAC.