The Dentist’s Role in Preventing Opioid Abuse and Addiction in Their Patients Who Require Pain Medication
Speaker: Vince Benivegna, DDS
CE Credits: 1
This webinar will cover:
- Use of opioids and other controlled substances.
- Integration of treatments.
- Alternative treatments for pain management.
- Counseling patients on the effects and risks associated with using opioids and other controlled substances.
- The stigma of addiction.
- Utilizing the Michigan Automated Prescription System (MAPS).
- State and federal laws regarding prescribing and dispensing controlled substances.
- Security features and proper disposal requirements for prescriptions.
NOTE: This webinar will fulfill the one-time dentist requirement on opioid abuse training mandated by the Michigan Board of Dentistry for license renewal.
About the Speaker … Dr. Vince Benivegna is a partner in Mid-Michigan Oral Surgery, with offices in East Lansing, Grand Ledge, and Charlotte, Mich. He is a graduate of the University of Michigan School of Dentistry and completed the Oral Maxillofacial program at Henry Ford Hospital in Detroit. He currently serves on the state of Michigan’s Prescription Drug and Opioid Abuse Commission where he is responsible for recommending additions and changes to Michigan law regarding prescribing, use, and disposal of opioid medication, as well as policy and regulatory recommendations.